Why Add an Indoor Playground to Your Church?
When you think about playgrounds, you probably don’t immediately think about church. However, many churches do have playgrounds – however many are old, outdated and outdoors.
Indoor playground equipment might not seem like the obvious addition to your church, but there are several great reasons you might want to consider it. Here are some great reasons to consider playground equipment in churches.
1. It Will Attract More Young Families
Okay, we’re not going to say that indoor playscapes are the only reason young families will choose your church, but if they’re already looking for a church like yours, it might tip the balance.
Young families that move into your area might be looking for a church that fits their lifestyle and needs, and having indoor play centers might not have occurred to them, but will certainly be a big draw!
2. And Keep Them After Church
If you’re struggling to keep young families at your church for after church activities, indoor playscapes might change all of that! Instead of racing away to keep their kids from being bored, when moms and dads have a safe, accessible place to entertain their children, they’re more likely to stay for events.
That helps to build a sense of community and will make your congregation a closer knit unit.
3. Great During Events
Whether it’s a wedding or a bake sale, there’s no denying that kids can’t sit still for a very long time.
Adding an indoor playscape to your church (and making it a sound proof facility that’s monitored by responsible adults) gives families somewhere safe to let their kids play during longer events. We all know kids aren’t going to sit still no matter how much we want them to – so why not create an alternative that works for everyone?
4. Attract Sunday School and Youth Participation
Some kids don’t relish the idea of getting up early to attend Sunday school or youth groups just for the sake of attending. However, when their day starts (and ends) with play time at indoor play centers with their friends, they’re likely to have a very different view of their Sunday mornings!
5. Help Kids Stay Healthy
These days, kids spend more time on the couch with their devices than they do outdoors. That’s not great for their health.
Indoor play centers are a great, year round way for kids to stay fitter, healthier and more active all year round. Many kids don’t have easy access to indoor playground equipment close to their homes, so adding it to your church could be a service you offer your community.
6. Great for Day Care Facilities
Many churches offer day care facilities, either their own or through a third party provider.
If your church has indoor playground equipment, it will be better equipped for the kids who attend that program. If you’re renting space to a third party, you might also be able to make more money from rent for the space, which can add to your church fundraising activities.
7. Help Build Healthy Relationships Between Kids
Another side effect of our indoor, tech obsessed lifestyles is that kids don’t interact with each other the way they used to. This means they might not have the relationships they once did – especially now when many in person activities have been curtailed for months or longer.
Being able to play with other kids helps kids to build stronger social relationships, and that equips them better to be well adjusted grownups.
8. A Safe Place to Play
Whether it’s the risk of extreme weather or stranger danger, there are a lot of reasons outdoor playgrounds might not be the best place for kids to spend time. There are also stray dogs to worry about, and some outdoor play spaces don’t have toilet facilities, which can complicate things for families!
Indoor play centers give families a place where their kids can play safely, and where they can have complete control over who uses the facilities and what happens there.
9. Create a Family Friendly Space
Many churches these days are more than just places of worship. They’re part of the community. They host events and are a gathering place for families.
Adding indoor playground equipment is a great way to add another dimension to the gathering friendly facilities you already have. You might, for instance, have an outdoor fire pit or a barbecue that families can use. Maybe there are already picnic tables or fold up tables in your store room that you take out for potlucks and other events.
With somewhere for kids to hang out and have fun, your church will be the go to destination for any event.
10. Raise Funds By Renting the Space
Families in your area are probably looking for places to host birthday parties and similar events all the time.
You could rent out your indoor playscape for less than local indoor play centers charge, and still make a little extra money to put into your church budget. It’s also great for school groups that are looking for somewhere kid friendly to host an event.
11. Help Local Children’s Charities
There are many kids out there who don’t have access to indoor playground equipment at all. Whether they’re foster homes or children’s charities, giving them access to playground equipment in churches lets kids who might not have the easiest life something to look forward to.
12. Create Memories
The kids who attend your church today will one day be adults that will be looking for a church of their own. If your indoor playground equipment helps them to create happy memories of your church, they’ll be more likely to choose your church when they grow up. They might even look forward to introducing their own kids to the place they spent so much happy time!
13. Active Learning
Many kids struggle to sit still during bible study or Sunday school. Having playground equipment in churches gives youth and Sunday school leaders a great place to build some physical play into their lessons. Kids can act out scenes from the bible or play other games, and if your equipment also happens to have biblical themes, so much the better!
Things to Consider When Putting Playground Equipment in Churches
As you can see, there are many reasons why you might want to put indoor playscapes into your church. However, there are a few things you might want to consider before you take the plunge. Consider the following:
- You always want to use professional grade, commercial equipment. The kind of equipment you would put in your back yard just won’t work when you have lots of kids using it. You need something that is safe and will last.
- Make sure you also address the flooring in the space you’re adding indoor playscapes to. There’s always a chance that kids will fall off indoor playground equipment, so you always need a soft surface for them to land on!
- Make sure the area that will be used by the kids is lockable and secure. As much as you want to let kids enjoy the space, you also need to control when and how it’s used.
- Make sure when the indoor playground equipment is in use, there’s always at least one responsible adult in the room at all times. If you have a large play structure, you might need to add more people to make sure everyone is playing safely.
- Find out from the city what the regulations for indoor playground equipment are. They might have specific requirements for the equipment and the space it is located in.
- Don’t forget to find out if your insurance will cover indoor playground equipment. Playground equipment in churches is a safe way for families to enjoy the space in a different way, but it’s not completely risk free.
- Don’t forget to add washroom facilities so that families can clean up when they need to, and because some might need to use the facilities while they’re there.
- Schedule regular inspection and maintenance of your indoor playground equipment and make any necessary repairs as soon as you can.
Indoor playground equipment is a great addition to any public space, and playground equipment can add a new dimension of fun and community to the space.
If you have the room for an addition like this, and your church community wants to add indoor playscapes to your church, reach out. We’ve installed many indoor play centers in churches and other public facilities, and we’re always happy to help.